16 December 2017

ActivePerl 5.22 XP installable

I have installed MSYS2 version that works with XP, and Perl 5.22 was the last build to run. In few cases I'd need to use native version e.g. in conjunction with native gnu-make. So I look at ActivePerl 5.22 which unfortunately drop support for XP just at the same version that I need.. heh!

Installing it under MS Application Verifier disguise works well, but damn, ActiveState sure know how to play hide and seek with their installation files lol. No worries! Process Explorer/Hacker will track them down for us.

After trivial tests I don't see any problem with its executables it's not like they try to disallow it to run on XP, seems they just make it not installable. I wonder if more ISVs doing this.

So I remove the "obstacle" in the msi file and pack a 7zip of it.

Note that while Perl is opensource, ActiveState added package manager among other enhancements which make it overall not OSS.

ActivePerl-5.22.4_installer.7z

No comments:

Post a Comment